Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Day 7

Jenna:
I don't know if it would be possible for me to properly sum up day 7 for you. It was miserable and funny and in some ways my favorite day of the trip. Mostly because it is the only day I have finished sitting on our hotel bed, laughing so hard I started to cry.

We woke up to the rain, which kind of caused us to have a late start. Late enough that the maid even came into our hotel room once, I am assuming because people almost never come to Italy and stay in their hotel room until 1 in the afternoon. But we don't ever seem to do things the way everyone else is doing them, and so we slept in and I photoshopped some of the bridals, and we didn't feel at all bad not getting out of our hotel room until after lunchtime was over.

It rained all night, and it rained all morning, and it still didn't stop raining while we walked down to the metro. My Mom had learned that there was a giant statue that had been found and displayed at the Capitol Museum with a giant hand and a foot that she wanted to photograph. We used the metro to ride from our hotel down to the coliseum stop, and wandered around for a little bit until we found the entrance to the museum. We walked up this sharply inclined path to the entrance, which must be relatively popular because everyone was taking pictures on it. We couldn't resist a few ourselves. We waited in this line full of loud, shoving kids (lots of school groups on tour this time of year), and then made our way through lots of different exhibits showing paintings, pottery, and of course all kinds of statues. After awhile you kind of start to develop this attitude of "Oh yes, another 1000 year old statue, nothing I haven't seen before". I started to get a little grumpy towards the end, and so I marched on ahead and finally found someone who could point out exactly where the hand and feet were, which was of course right at the entrance that we had passed by an hour ago.

We decided to make our way over to the Spanish steps to see if we could do some shopping and find something to eat. We made sure to take plenty of "umbrella shots" throughout the day, because they always turn out so adorable. You will notice that this is where the photos end. This is because we spent the next 3 hours or so wandering around trying to find somewhere to eat. It really didn't have to be quite THAT difficult, except I am morally opposed to eating at the "tourist trap" Italian version of Denny's restaurants that they have all over the place and we were trying to eat at like 5, which is not okay to do in Italy because all of the restaurants don't open until 7:30. We ended up wandering (the long way) home, after getting lost a few times, and going into a little cafe to order "take-away". We took it all back and devoured it on our hotel bed. The saddest meal anyone will ever have in Rome! Word of advice, try to eat more than one meal a day when you are in Rome :)

Today we are going to wander around for a little bit more, as it's our last day before we fly to Poland tonight. I hope we get a really good meal in to make up for yesterday.

We don't know what our situation in Poland is going to be exactly, if the hotel is going to have internet or not, so I don't know if I will be able to keep posting. I plan on writing down what we did every day anyways, and loading it all up by days at one point. It's as fun for us to read through our little travel log as I think it is for all of you. I'm so excited to go to Poland tonight and meet TH's family. Ciao!

No comments: