Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day 2

Jenna:
Sadly, another day is done. The time is flying by here, and I wish I could slow it down to be able to take it in a little more completely. The longer we are here, the more comfortable I get with my language skills, and there have only been a few times where I absolutely did not understand what the person was trying to tell me. One lady was saying something about boyfriends and crying and God. Not really sure where any of that fit into the conversation we were having....

We decided we wanted to get up to have breakfast at 7 am. I thought it was great, with an assortment of breads and cheeses and a little bit of something that resembled Spam, but I think my mom thought it was a few too many refined carbs for her taste. I enjoyed my nutella and biscotti and croissant and all kinds of other things. It was a feast! I'll get some delicious pictures tomorrow.

I bothered the hotel staff about the internet once again and they were nice enough to get me an extension cord this time instead of making me squat in the hall and have Italian women give me dirty looks for being in their way. We did a little research to figure out where we were headed for the day, and we walked out the door, found a little market to buy some water and fruit, took all of that back to our hotel and finally headed out.

We decided to hit up the Coliseum and the Forum today, and had plans to visit the Pantheon, but didn't quite make it that far. We ended up taking a ridiculously long route to the entrance of the Coliseum and so I was already feeling a little tired by the time we got there. Mom bought a book on travel and read it before we came so we knew all of the ins and outs to skipping the lines and getting around (although the book didn't really provide us with a sense of direction, something we could have really used). We went into a little bar (not the same kind of smoky dark places that we associate with the word bar in America) and stood at the counter while we ate this delicious buttery shrimp concoction of a pizza.

The coliseum was amazing, and I am so glad that we downloaded these free audio tours to learn a little more about the history and what we were really looking at. After a full tour of the Coliseum we walked through the Forum and by that time we were exhausted and our feet hurt so bad that we stumbled back to the hotel to take a little nap. The little nap turned into a 5 hour session of sleeping, and then the night was over. We didn't even eat any dinner tonight. Tomorrow we have plans to see the Vatican and who knows what else.

A new set of pictures are uploaded so you can see the exciting times we are having. Buono notte!

No comments: